Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Item Series
Title Rosedale Women's Institute fonds -- Minute Series
Catalog Number 1987.009.001
Fonds AM 0707
Date 1943-1984.
Level of description Series
Scope & Content Complete set of minute books of the Rosedale Women's Institute.
Admin/Biographical History On March 3, 1943 a number of Rosedale women gathered at the home of Mrs. Irene McGrath with the intent of forming a Women's Institute. Women's Institutes in British Columbia were involved in a number of different community activities such as: home economics; public health and child welfare; education and better schools; legislation; Canadianization, immigration and national events; community betterment; agriculture; and industries. In the early years Rosedale Women's Institute devoted much of its time to buying materials and an electric range for the community hall, furnishing a ward in the Chilliwack General Hospital and taking part in canvassing for several causes. The Rosedale Women's Institute dissolved in 1986 due to waning membership.
Archival History The fonds was transferred to the Chilliwack Museum and Archives in 1986 and 1987 by Mrs. Yvonne Russell.
Extent of Description 10 cm of textual records