Richard Brett was born January 22, 1862 at Mulmur, Ontario. Richard came west to British Columbia in the spring of 1883, settling first at Port Moody. In March of 1889 he was married to Emma Trethewey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Trethewey of Mission. Emma Trethewey was born in Muskoka, Ontario on December 3, 1871, and came to Mission with her family. In 1899 the couple moved to East Chilliwack, where Richard had purchased the Elk Creek saw and grist mills from his father-in-law. After operating the mills for 10 years, they returned to farming, clearing a 320 acre farm on Prairie Central Road. Richard Brett was elected several times to the School Board, and served on Township council for five years. Emma (Trethewey) Brett was active in the work of the Methodist Church, located at the corner of Chilliwack Central and Upper Prairie roads. She was a past worthy mistress of the Orange Lodge, and member of the Rebekah Lodge and the Octogenarian Club of Chilliwack United Church.heir son William Earl Brett (1896-1988) established a chain of automobile dealerships, Brett's Ltd., in 1923. Earl and his wife Helen (Dandell) were very in community affairs, and Earl was particularly instrumental in establishing the Chilliwack Airport. His sons Enos and Doug eventually took over Brett's Ltd., and operated it until 1985. Doug started working for his Dad when he was 10 years old, cleaning the bathrooms. Doug bought out his brother in 1973, and moved the dealership to its present location on Young Road in 1979. In the 1985 the business was sold to Fred Meyerink Sr. The dealership is now owned and operated by Fred Meyerink Jr.