Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Item Series
Title St. Thomas Anglican Church fonds -- Parish of Fraser Cheam Series.
Catalog Number 1981.078.001
Fonds AM 0007
Date 1873 - 1979
Level of description Series
Scope & Content A petition of St. Thomas Church to the Bishop of British Columbia requesting consecration of the Church building, and an essay entitled "A short historical sketch of St. Thomas Anglican Church", Chilliwack, B.C.
Admin/Biographical History The first St. Thomas Church was built in 1858 in Port Douglas; in 1873 it was moved on six Haida canoes across Harrison Lake and the Fraser River, to a new site at Five Corners. It was replaced in 1897 by the larger structure of today. In 1909, the site was sold for the construction of the Hart Block and the church was placed on rollers, and moved by horses to its present site at 46048 Gore Ave. The wooden siding was stuccoed in 1949. It is also distinguished by its interior, with red cedar panelling and large cedar roof beams.
Extent of Description 1 cm of textual records
Finding Aids Transcript available.
Search Terms Churches - Chilliwack
St. Thomas Anglican Chuch (Chilliwack, B.C.)