Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Item Print, Photographic
Title Overhead view of Wellington Avenue looking towards Five Corners during 1894 Flood
Photo Number PP500720
Other # 000693
Date 1894
Description 1 photograph print
Colour: black and white

Scope & Content:
Photograph consists of an overhead view of Wellington Avenue, as seen from the spire of Cooke's Presbyterian Church, looking towards Five Corners and beyond.
Provenance The flood of May-June 1894 was the most serious one since Europeans settled in the Chilliwack district. It reached a level of 25.75 feet on the Mission gauge – a foot higher that the 1948 flood. Prior to 1894, there had been no flood control measures undertaken except for a dam built across the Hope Slough at Rosedale in 1892. Neither the Province nor the Township could raise much funding for dyking, although a few farmers had attempted to dyke their own lands. Sardis, because it was situated on alluvial deposits, from an old channel of the Chilliwack River, was the only area of the valley floor to avoid the inundation. The centre of the community, Five Corners, though built on a slight ridge, was mostly underwater.